Adult STS Congenital Data Abstractor Job Description
Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS)
STS Congenital Heart Surgery Database (CHSD)
Department: Data Abstractors
Division/Location: Direct Difference – Support of contracted facility as designated
Skill Set: Clinical Data Abstractor
The Data Abstractor performs clinical auditing and data abstraction of patient records in support of the contracted facility’s clinical process improvement and patient safety initiatives associated with participation in the STS Congenital Heart Surgery Database (CHSD) Registry. Congenital heart surgery is the operative treatment of structural abnormalities involving the heart and major blood vessels. Although these defects generally result from congenital malformations, they also include acquired defects in infants and children. This task is accomplished through high-quality data compilation, documentation, and data entry of identified procedures performed at the contracted facility into the associated registry/vendor tool platform. Results of audits and identified trends are communicated with contracted facility in designated manor to facilitate performance/process improvements.
- Education: Graduation from an accredited school of nursing as an LPN or RN, or other applicable education. *
- Experience: Minimum of two years’ experience abstracting in the STS Congenital Heart Surgery Database (CHSD) Registry within the last three years.
- Licensure: Licensed by State Board of Nursing, or another applicable licensure. *
- Must maintain competency and knowledge of data definitions and reporting guidelines.
- Must possess knowledge of anatomy and disease processes.
- Must be computer literate and knowledgeable in spreadsheet software, database programs, and Microsoft Office
- Experience with STS Congenital Heart Surgery Database (CHSD)
- Three years of acute care experience
*Will consider waiving nursing requirement with more than three years’ experience abstracting for the STS Congenital Heart Surgery Database (CHSD) Registry within the last three years.
- The Data Abstractor’s key responsibility is to collect and submit accurate, complete, and timely data for Trauma Registry. This task is accomplished through high-quality data compilation, documentation, and data entry of identified procedures performed at the Center into the associated registry/vendor tool platform.
Specific Responsibilities and Capabilities
- Data Collection and Reporting
- Reviews 100 percent of STS Congenital Heart Surgery Database (CHSD) Registry patients for inclusion in the STS data registry as identified by the facility.
- Collects preoperative, intraoperative, and 30-day postoperative follow-up data components for the program through the effective utilization of the hospital medical record systems.
- Responsible for the accurate, complete and timely entry of data into the program’s database.
- Maintain accuracy threshold of greater than or equal to 95 percent.
- Work Effectively with Hospital and Individual Surgeon Office Staff
- Serves as an educational resource on the STS Congenital Heart Surgery Database (CHSD) Registry for internal and external audiences as needed.
- Communicate clearly any data documentation needs to support accurate and high reliable data collection and reporting.
Professional Growth and Development
- Participates in program teleconferences is encouraged.
- Periodic attendance at voluntary in-person professional development seminars offered at various annual meetings such as STS, ACC, and/or NCDR is encouraged.