STS Intermacs Abstractor Job Description
Division/Location: Direct Difference – Support of contracted facility as designated
Skill Set: Clinical Data Abstractor
Performs clinical auditing and data abstraction of patient records in support of contracted facility’s clinical process improvement and patient safety initiatives associated with participation in. Results of audits and identified trends are reviewed with Clinical Nurse Specialists, unit-assigned clinical staff, Performance Improvement staff, and physician quality task forces.
Education: Graduation from an accredited school of nursing as an LPN, RN, or cardiopulmonary perfusionist
Experience: At least 3 years of acute care experience
Licensure: Must be licensed by State Board of Nursing
- Must have a minimum of 2 years recent experience abstracting STS Intermacs Registry data.
- Must maintain competency and knowledge of data definitions and reporting guidelines.
- Must possess knowledge of anatomy and disease processes.
- Must be computer literate and knowledgeable in spreadsheet software, database programs, Microsoft Office software.
- Requires flexibility in work schedule.
The Data Abstractor’s key responsibility is to collect and submit accurate, complete, and timely data to for STS Intermacs. This task is accomplished through high-quality data compilation, documentation, and data entry of identified procedures performed at the Center into the associated registry/vendor tool platform.
Specific Job Responsibilities and Capabilities:
Data Collection and Reporting:
- Reviews 100 percent of ECMO patients for inclusion in the STS Intermacs data registry as identified by the facility.
- Collects preoperative, intraoperative, and 30-day postoperative follow-up data components for the program through the effective utilization of the hospital medical record systems.
- Identifies streamlining and process improvement opportunities in the data collection process.
- Responsible for the accurate, complete and timely entry of data into the program’s database.
- Maintain accuracy threshold of greater than or equal to 95 percent.
Work Effectively with Hospital and Individual Surgeon Office Staff:
- Serves as an educational resource on for internal and external audiences as needed.
- Communicate clearly any data documentation needs to support accurate and high reliable data collection and reporting.
- Participates in program teleconferences.
- Participates in data compilation for audits and (re)accreditation or site visits.
- Periodically attends voluntary in-person professional development seminars offered at various annual meetings such as AHA, ISHLT, ELSO, STS, ACC, and/or NCDR.